“We’ve effectively managed to pasteurize, irradiate, and process out any naturally occurring beneficial bacteria while at the same time feeding harmful bacteria with a feast of processed starches and sugars.” – Wellness Mama
The motive behind this whole healthy living journey is to create awareness on the tremendous power of God’s creation through continuous learning and research, to an extent where our go-to solution for everything will not be drugs but nature!
I look forward to the day the world realizes the power a natural diet so we can stop running to drugs and supplements for comfort.
‘Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.”’ – Genesis 1:29.
My sister introduced our family to the endless benefits of probiotics earlier this year and I couldn’t be happier to jump at one less opportunity to spend money on what my body does NOT need.
What are Probiotics? – Probiotics are the good, helpful, live bacteria and yeasts that help keep our guts healthy.
What are our guts? – Just so I don’t bore you with technical meanings, I am just going to drop the simple Macmillan definition here: “all the organs inside your body, especially the ones in the stomach area.”
For years now, we may have been led to think that anything that has to do with bacteria is negative. Think anti-bacterial soaps and antibiotics. Why that was ever (and still is) so, I will never know but thank God for the power of revelation through research!
I was amazed to find that antibacterial soap has no exceptional power over regular soap and actually might be harmful. What’s even interesting is that exposing our kids to some kind of ‘dirt’ – by allowing them to walk barefooted around the house, or even eating dirt – helps them to naturally supplement probiotics and hence develop their immune systems properly!
We now want everything cloroxed! The stronger the bleach, the more powerful it is.
I’m often teased by my friends for wanting to make everything myself!And I honestly amaze myself sometimes! My mother, sister and I are a DIY team! We make our own lotions, milk, hair conditioners, deodorants, soaps, we will probably be growing our own cotton to make our own clothes soon!bahaha! It’s either a brand fully committed to making the world a better place by using naturally occurring ingredients, or best believe we will be looking up DIY(Do-it-yourself) processes!
Let’s get a little scientific for a second:
On grounds of estimation, research proves that our intestines inhabit more than 500 types of bacteria. Some of these are good, some are bad. Ultimately, you want to be able to achieve a healthy balance so that the good bacteria are the winning ladies (and gentlemen). When the GOOD prevails over evil – which is always a happy ending – you have better digestion, the maximum absorption of nutrients from food, a stronger immune system, beautiful, beautiful skin(!), high energy levels (goodbye to chronic fatigue syndromes). The benefits are endless!
Now there are several factors that lead to a bacterial imbalance in our bodies: Stress, illness, poor diet, antibiotics! And Lord knows how much money the world spends on the above mentioned.
The missing link in preventing diabetes, acne, high cholesterol, obesity, heart diseases, what is known as depression, etc., is the good bacteria nobody talks to us about!
In comes Probiotics! Remember, they are simply put: good bacteria.
There are different ways to encourage the growth of good bacteria which ultimately fight the bad ones.
- Avoid refined sugars, processed foods and keep starches to the minimum: Bad bacteria is known to thrive on sugar. They love sugar like a ‘fat kid loves cake’. Good bacteria are also imbalanced by the abundance of vegetable oils, lots of starchy and processed foods. You, therefore, want to be able to avoid refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup and all their kids and grandkids (BYE BYE soda and ‘juice drinks’!). As much as you can, you want to make sure starches like corn, potatoes, white rice etc. aren’t the staple of your ‘healthy diet’. P.S Pay attention to the process of sprouting if you eat a lot of starchy foods.
- Avoid trans-fats: I’m tempted to say that this goes without saying. If there is anything you want to know about trans-fats, it’s this: They are bad for you. End of story. Trans-fats hide in different kinds of foods, even those labeled “NO trans-fat” and that’s why I always recommend going deeper than the label.
I recently bought
what was labeled coconut butter in a rushed attempt to ‘save money’, and was once again reminded why I appreciate myself for spending the extra time in the aisle reading every information there is on the package and googling stuff!
The easiest way to get trans-fat in your system is that french fries from your favorite fast food joint! And some of us are still fighting occasional guilty pleasures at Chick-Fil- A in the name of ‘supporting Christian business’ AND that $2 side of fries and cookies when you want to stay on your student budget!
And then there are my new best friends:
- FERMENTED AND CULTURED FOODS! : Kefir(Water and Milk), Kombucha, sour cream, & yogurt (all made via natural fermentation with good bacteria), pickled anythings, fermented vegetables. These foods play a vital role in repopulating the gut with good bacteria. I have tried some of these fermented foods and believe me when I say they are THE BUSINESS! Water Kefir (that has gone through second fermentation) is the BEST substitute to soda for those struggling to give up soda and all those drinks rich in High Fructose Corn Syrup. Kefirs are easy to make and SO worthwhile!
- Fermented cod liver oil: The Omega-3s and vitamins A & D which are found in fermented cod liver oil help reduce inflammation and supply the gut with what it needs to heal.
- Probiotic Supplements: I’m a firm believer in the power of the food. God made food and gave us food and so I am #TeamFoodFirst. Also because I have a Boyfriend from Ancient Greek Era who is worst when it comes to this topic.???. However, in situations where the above mentioned aren’t available for whatever reason, supplements are also a good way to grow good bacteria.
Tell me why and how you would go for antibiotics in the first place again?
My prayer is that no one ever gets me wrong when I talk about this. The goal isn’t that everyone stops eating chicken and go plant-based – although that does not sound shabby at all?! – but rather for us to come the realization of the power of God in EVERYTHING around us. Let’s re-educate ourselves and go back to the basic processes that have been abandoned over the years.
I get a lot of people tell me how ‘this and that person did all you’re doing and still got hit by a car’, ‘still died of cancer’, ‘still went to bed and never woke up’.
Well, the truth is that THE TRUTH IS!
I choose not to engage in conversations that potentially end up in arguments. All I know is, these naturally occurring foods, God gave me! And I’d rather that than run after money making movements who do me more harm than good. I’d rather go organic than resort to ‘fast ways of doing things.’
When He does decide to call me home, He will do so in His perfect way and that is not going to make me live my life through the fear of others. I will not thrive on junk and gulp down packets of ‘lose weight fast’ just because ‘we are all going to die one day after all’.
I don’t say this to put anyone out of business, but I see people so desperate to lose weight, have a good night’s sleep, fight chronic fatigue syndromes, and they run around seeking all kinds of solutions. I mean that’s awesome, and they must work! But what happened to the organic ways of doing things?
The information is right there waiting for us to grab. Guess what?So are the many “movements” that do not care about our true well-being. The ‘fast’ way of doing things isn’t always the best way!
Your temple deserves better!
-P.S If you’re in Ghana and looking for probiotics, my amazing mother and sister can hook you up! Kefir grains and Kombucha ‘mothers’ grow, and so you are good to go for a really long time after one purchase! They grow so fast, you can even share with friends and family.
-If you are looking for healthy options for cooking oils, my beautiful friend and the CEO of NOVAN, Narkie Agbettor, can sort you out with her amazing brand of cold-pressed coconut oils!
I only recommend what I know to be true and promotes a worthy cause!
And, NO, I am not ‘there’ yet! Far from it!