A wise lady aka blogger from whom I get foodspiration, once said “magic happens when coconut milk and dates come together”. Looking back on the fact that I
(well… my roommate and I so I don’t come off as a foodie) finished an entire tub of this homemade ice-cream by myself on Sunday, I couldn’t agree less!
I am said to be the queen of hyperboles, but this ice-cream in all its ‘preservative-less’, ‘chemical-less’, ‘refined sugar-less’ veganess (as it should be) was, is and (I bet) will forever be ‘wicked good!!!!!’ It’s been 3 days and I literally miss it!
I’m a #GirlOnAMission to prove that making the decision to take proactive part in your health is NOT a death sentence, you guys. I can say that I’m living the best days of my life – food-wise- and I can’t help but share!
So here you go, family! Your (customizable) no-churn Ice Cream Recipe! Thank me in a bit 😉
P.S Sometimes by mouth obviously moves faster than the camera; I apologize for not taking photos of the step by step. I did it for my fellow snappers though 🙂
- 2 14-ounce cans of full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge
- 14-16 ounces pitted dates (if not sticky and moist, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add moist, pitted dates to a food processor and process until small bits remain. Then add hot water a little at a time until it forms a thick paste. Set aside.
- Scoop out the coconut cream(the hardened part) from the cans of coconut milk. Reserve the clear liquid for other uses. Place in chilled mixing bowl.
- Using a mixer, whip coconut cream until creamy and smooth. Then add vanilla, almond milk and half of the date paste. Whip until fully incorporated.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined freezer-safe container and cover loosely with foil to help freeze.
- Freeze overnight for a firmer ice cream. [I ate my first batch after 6 hours because I couldn’t wait ;)]
- Set out ice cream for at least 20 minute, prior to scooping, and use a scoop warmed under hot water for a proper scoop.
- This is said to last for a week but I finished it in a day because #CavsAreNBAChampions!!!!!
God don’t like ugly people; and all those chemicals and preservatives are ugly??
Treat your body right 🙂
*Recipe adapted from www.minimalist baker.com